Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bujagali Falls


 By the grace of God, we somehow found another camp nearby to take solace in. And- there were even hot showers! We saw puppies, kittens, bunnies, and grown Ugandan men cheering like little girls at the tv screen. That night just so happened to be the night of the Man-U against Barcelona game. Juice box in hand I glued my eyes to the tv screen far in the distance while sitting at the end of the bar. This bar was the mecca for all white tourists of East Africa. It was packed and stacked with loud personalities- including the British blokes from the booze cruise. After meeting a few people we ventured to another bar that had food and a larger tv. For a small moment in time, I felt like I was back in the states at some private bar in the middle of the woods with really entertaining foreign bartenders.
Bujagali Falls. Absolutely stunning. The Bujagali Swimmers were there- these brave or dumb (your choice) souls that jump into the raging rapids holding onto merely an empty water jug to stay afloat. Their dark bodies are barely visible as they bob in and out of the gurgling whirpools. A little boy named Babu came up to me and asked to sing to me. Little black boy... singing... of course! For two or so minutes we stood nodding to his beat and tunes, " Everyday, I be lookin' for money..."  His shirt was from Florida so I had to snag a shot with this young Ugandan prodigy.
I was encouraged by a local to jump in. I took a little dip in the water to escape the Ugandan sun. Not nearly enough. My first feeling of the Nile River. Indescribable.
A Nepalese man asked to take a photo where my group was standing, " I take a photo, with you guys!" We laughed in lieu of posing while someone took a photo of us with his camera phone. Oh the places and people you meet in this world.
A twenty minute boda ride back to the city was the perfect debrief for the day. The breeze blowing on my sizzling body, waves and smiles passing me by, and images playing in my head as I inch closer and closer back to home. A striking weekend with great company. Not too shabby Uganda, not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment