Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Enough monkey-ing around.

Deep within the Kibale National Forest lies thousands of species. Millions of walking, talking and gawking creatures. Our patient and knowledge-endowed tour guide, Julius, gave us quite the spectacular tour of what is known as Bigodi Wildlife Sanctuary. A community based approach to preserving natural resources, this sanctuary is maintained by KAFRED. All proceeds go back into the community through sanctuary maintenance, building schools, and other village projects. For under fifteen bucks you can tour one of the few remaining sanctuaries of eight primate species. The rarest-- red-tailed colobus monkey in particular call it home. My group was lucky enough to observe such a creature. Did I mention there was a cool treehouse to climb into? Being what seemed the only being of the group who was prepared, I flashed my rainjacket as I shoddily wrapped it around my camera sack. My preparedness what quickly shot down when we took our first steps into the wild.
Everyone stood quietly, listening to the entrancing stories Julius had to offer when out of nowhere I shove my hands out in a shooshing manner, " shhhhhhhh! what's that sound?" Only for Julius to reply, " um. that's a human being." Special moment number 250. Bring it on brain.



Black and white colobus monkeys.


Rare red-tailed colobus monkeys. Faces so piercing they send chills.

Olive baboon.

Grey-cheeked mangabey.

Mutton chops and a moustache. 
More to come, 

<3
--h--

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've only seen monkies on tv!

    You look so jolly and always have showed your beautiful smile!
    we miss you child. Be safe as always love you infinity nanay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, yes, I see it. That's my cuz........

    ReplyDelete